Rice water has been said to have wondrous benefits for women, especially for skin and hair care and this is absolutely true. Not only does rice water help in retaining hair growth, it is a great moisturizer and every woman should try it out.
Benefits of Rice Water For The Hair
- Rice water is packed with important vitamins like Vitamins B, C and E.
- It also contains phenolic and flavonoid compounds, which can minimize free radical damage from environmental factors.
- Rice water contains inositol, a carbohydrate that helps repair and strengthen damaged hair. This carbohydrate also helps boost hair elasticity.
- Rice water has saponins, a natural cleanser for hair thus making it suitable for washing of the hair.
To enjoy these wonderful beauty benefits of rice water for hair, all you have to do is to collect the water that you use to rinse your rice.
To make rice water, you will need:
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice (brown, white long grain, white short grain, jasmine, or whatever kind you have)
- 2 to 3 cups water
READ HERE: BEAUTY TALK WITH ARTISTRY BY TOLANI
In short, rice water is the starchy water obtained by draining boiled rice. To make rice water, first rinse the rice with about a cup of water to remove any dirt or impurities.
Then, place the rice in a bowl and cover with water. Let the rice soak for 15 to 30 minutes. Swirl it around or lightly knead it until the water turns cloudy. This will help the vitamins and minerals seep into the water, creating a nourishing rinse for your hair and skin.
Now strain out the rice water into a clean bowl. Your rice water is ready to use.
How to Make Fermented Rice Water
The process of fermented rice water is a little bit different from plain rice water.
- Rinse a cup of rice then discard the water.
- Steep the rice in 2 cups of distilled water for about 20 minutes stirring every 5 minutes or so.
- Afterwards, strain the water into a bottle and set aside overnight.
- By the next morning it should have turned slightly sour and started to ferment.
- Pour the rice water into a pan, cook until boiling then remove from the stove and allow to cool.
- Add a few drops of your preferred essential oils such as tea tree oil or coconut essential oil. You can also add 5 drops of vitamin E oil.