Was casually sitting down yesterday, minding my business and doing my work when one of my friends called to know what we (she and I) would be doing this weekend. I automatically started thinking to know if I had promised to hang with any other friend of mine. That was when I remembered that almost all of my friends have relocated from Lagos. And, although I have not been actively trying to make more friends (introvert issues), I have a clear picture of how hard it is to make new friends and that has discouraged me from even trying.
Not having friends around is an incredibly discouraging situation. Especially if, like me, you have a very small circle of close friends that grew to become your everything until they betrayed your friendship for important things like marriage and education. *rolls eyes* Anyway, one thing I’ve found that seems to help is finding fun things to do with my friends when they come visiting. Since I don’t get to see them every time I want, I try to make the best of every moment we have. So, if you have friends coming into town and you want to spend quality time with them, any of the below can help you make the best of your time together.
- Take a walk around the neighborhood. Feel the fresh air on your cheeks and gossip about anything and everything.
- Gift yourselves spa treatments that will give you both enough time for more gossip and productive talk.
- Run an errand together. Gives you more time to bond.
- See a movie together.
- Host a sleepover. Read magazines, order pizza and stay up late talking about every topic.
- Take a day trip to somewhere on the outskirts of the city. It will give you more time to talk and build lasting memories.
- If you are both into Tv series, pick a TV series and watch together every week. If you’re not in the same place, watch separately and text throughout!
The key thing is to do things that you both love that will help you bond and create memories.